Seasonal sake is relatively new to the US, entering the market in earnest about 5 years ago and rapidly gaining appreciation for its fresh flavors, inspired by nature. In Japan, these seasonal releases are hotly anticipated and sell out quickly. Here in the US, Sunflower plans ahead and orders the best seasonal selections months ahead of time to ensure (very limited!) supply.
The Sunflower Seasonal Club is our way of exploring sake's connection to seasonality. Each quarterly pack includes 2-3 pages of beautifully illustrated information about each bottle, including tasting notes, recommended pairings, brewery and regional backstory.
Quarterly packs are available in two sizes. The $5 enrollment fee is credited to the first shipment, and the club can be paused/cancelled up to 2 weeks before the upcoming release.
The 4-bottle selection includes 4 bottles, 4x/year at a variable cost, up to $150/qtr and priced at a 10% discount (2023 averaged $137/qtr)
- The 2-bottle selection includes 2 bottles, 4x/year at a variable cost, up to $85/qtr.
4-Pack club benefits include:
- In-person pickup includes two tasting flights of all 4 seasonal releases
- Free club delivery within Portland
- $20 discounted nationwide* shipping (for club order) up to a case ($30 in Summer)
- $0 corkage
- All club bottles discounted 10% + all seasonal sake always 10% off
- Classes & events 20% off
- Typically includes the rarer, more limited bottles
2-Pack club benefits include:
- In-person pickup includes two tasting flights both (2) seasonal releases
- $20 discounted nationwide* club shipping ($30 in Summer)
- $0 corkage
- Classes & events 20% off
Because of the unpredictable nature of shipping, seasonal club shipments are estimated to be available sometime in Spring (Mar-May), Summer (June-Sept), Fall (Oct-Nov), and Winter (Jan-Feb).
Club charges are scheduled quarterly on the third Monday of April, July, October and January, but the exact date may be adjusted for early arrival. Once the seasonal sake has landed, I’ll send out an email notification to club members alerting you when your shipment is available for pick up/delivery or when it's going in the mail.
Important notes & disclaimers:
New Members: new seasonal club memberships are charged $5 at time of enrollment in order to collect payment and address information. This enrollment fee will be credited to the member's first shipment.
Waitlist: Membership slots may be limited as supplies depend on 3-4 months of advance planning. A waitlist will be maintained when club spots are unavailable.
Through our shipping partner, shipping is available nationwide to all states/counties that permit alcohol purchases. While I maintain a short list of dry counties, we ask that you check your local regulations to confirm before ordering. When you purchase sake from Sunflower, you agree that your purchase is considered to have been transacted in Oregon and under Oregon law-- as though you were ordering in person at the shop. Shipping is then fulfilled post-purchase at the customer's direction.
No sales tax is applied (as is law in Oregon), and it is the customer's responsibility to follow up with their local government to determine if any subsequent tax is due.
For club orders, shipping is charged at a discounted rate of $20; $30 in Summer (June-Aug). Please also note that per federal requirements, an adult with photo ID must be present to receive the delivery.
Due to limitations in the Shopify platform, subscriptions can only be processed as "shipped" items, regardless of whether or not you plan to pick them up in person! Our workaround is as follows:
- When selecting your club membership, please indicate your preferred delivery/pick up option from the drop-down menu.
- When checking out, select "shipping" (pick up/delivery will return an error message) and enter your shipping information as you normally would. You should not be charged for shipping.
- We'll be using your drop-down selection to inform your preferences. If you need to make adjustments in the future, please contact us directly.
Adding to Club Shipments: If you'd like to add a'la carte bottles to your club shipment, there is no additional charge... so it's very cost effective to increase your order up to a case!
Payment: Seasonal club subscription payments are tentatively scheduled for the third Monday of April, July, October and January Please note that the exact date is subject to product arrivals and may vary!
Limited Product Availability: Please note that club selections may be subject to availability. This is especially true for seasonal items which are imported and stocked in very limited quantities. If a limited supply of one club sake is available, it will be distributed on a first come first served basis and an equally delicious substitute will be available to later pickups.